As many as nine Stockton police officers wrestled a 16-year-old to the ground after he was stopped for allegedly walking in a bus lane on Wednesday.
When an officer asked the teen to stop, reportedly to write a ticket, the boy allegedly kept walking toward his bus. A bystander recorded a video (above) showing the officer standing over the sitting teen, and hitting him with his baton—an action that the department’s public information officer described as a “weapon retention technique”—because the boy had his hands on the baton. The officer appears to call for backup. Officers advanced on the boy, who was sitting with his head in his hands, threw him onto the sidewalk and handcuffed him.
The boy was allegedly arrested on suspicion of trespassing and resisting arrest.
RT has the story. Here’s a clip:
…police say that the video doesn’t show the whole story. The teen wasn’t jaywalking, but clearly ignored signs that said he couldn’t walk in that location.
“He was walking in a lane that is designated only for buses to drive in,” Silva said. “It was a safety issue, and trespassing according to the posted signs and the Stockton Municipal Code.”
When the officer approached the boy and asked him to move to the sidewalk, “the kid immediately started using obscene language and said that he wouldn’t listen,” Silva said.
Witnesses said that before the camera started rolling, the cop was telling the teenager to sit down, but the boy continued walking to his bus.
The officer kept grabbing his arm, but the kid still went on, so the cop took out his baton.
A scuffle ensued, during which time the officer’s body camera was knocked to the ground, Silva said.
The teen then grabbed the officer’s baton.
“We cannot and will not allow anyone to take our weapons,” Silva said, adding that the officer then employed a “weapons retention technique” to gain full control over the baton.
BERNIE SANDERS AND US REPS INTRODUCE BILL TO SHUT DOWN PRIVATE PRISONS
On Thursday, alongside leaders from the House of Representatives, US Senator (and presidential hopeful) Bernie Sanders introduced the “Justice is not for Sale Act,” which would shut down the nation’s controversial for-profit prison industry, end the feds’ daily quota of 34,000 incarcerated immigrants (read more about those lock-up quotas: here), and restore the federal parole system, which was abolished in the 1980’s.
Over 41,159 federal and 91,885 state prisoners are housed in private facilities. The US Marshals Service and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) hold 20% and 62% percent of their detainees in for-profit detention centers, respectively.
The bill, co-introduced by Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Arizona), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minnesota) and Rep. Bobby L. Rush (D-Illinois), would also boost oversight of companies like Global Tel-Link and JPay that provide (costly) communication and financial services to inmates and their families.
“We cannot fix our criminal justice system if corporations are allowed to profit from mass incarceration,” Sanders said. “Keeping human beings in jail for long periods of time must no longer be an acceptable business model in America…Our focus should be on treating people with dignity and ensuring they have the resources they need to get back on their feet when they get out.”
CONDEMNED OKLAHOMA MAN RECEIVES STAY OF EXECUTION HOURS BEFORE HE WAS SCHEDULED TO DIE
An Oklahoma man on death row, Richard Glossip, was granted a stay of execution hours before he was scheduled to be executed on Wednesday.
Last week, Glossip’s lawyers announced new information casting doubt on Glossip’s already shaky murder conviction. In his final hours, Clancy Smith, presiding judge of the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals gave Glossip’s legal team 14 days to present new evidence to the court.
As Glossip headed toward execution this week, lawmakers, activists, and the public spoke out against the state’s possible execution of an innocent man. A petition started by death penalty opponent Sister Helen Prejean, and Susan Sarandon (who portrayed Prejean in the film “Dead Man Walking”) garnered 236,000 signatures.
The Washington Post’s Mark Berman has the story. Here’s a clip:
Glossip’s execution hour arrived amid renewed questions about his guilt and high-profile calls for the execution to be called off. The execution was so close that Glossip had already been given his final meal — including chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes, fish and chips and a strawberry malt — which state protocol says must be delivered the night before a lethal injection.
This case case focused on the killing of a motel owner named Barry Van Treese. In 1997, Van Treese was beaten to death with a baseball bat. Glossip, who worked for Van Treese, was found guilty of paying another motel worker to kill him. Justin Sneed, who confessed to killing Van Treese, testified against Glossip, and he was sentenced to life in prison without parole while Glossip received a death sentence.
Glossip, 52, was convicted of murder and twice sentenced to death. He was first sentenced in 1998, but that sentence was overturned due to what a state court deemed ineffective legal counsel, and he was sentenced again in 2004.
But Glossip’s attorneys argue that executing him based on Sneed’s testimony “risks a wrongful execution.” They also submitted an affidavit from a man who said that while in an Oklahoma state prison, he heard Sneed say that Glossip hadn’t done anything.