While we’re on the subject of extremely smart journalism students, ZACH SIRE, one of my former literary journalism students at UC Irvine has started a blog called Sire Says that you must bookmark immediately. Why? Because Zach has a wonderfully intelligent, soulful, entirely quirky and creatively absurdest voice as he comments on…well, whatever he feels like.
In his non-blogging time, Zach is a gifted nonfiction writer whom I believe you’re bound to hear from in the future.
But, in the meantime, like many writers these days, he blogs. In Zach’s case, he blogs about “the absurdities that everyone else is too busy to notice.”
For instance, in the past few days he has commented on:
1. The new operation Deport Yourself plan (okay, they call it something else) that ICE has come up with to allow immigrants without criminal records to “self deport.”
2. A truly strange job ad on Craig’s List.
3. Why George Bush is not Batman.
4. Those unbelievably annoying “CAPTCHAS.”
5. The occasional serious issue, like this one.
6. And the very weird reasons that Floridians call 911.
Anyway, check it out.
(And for WLA’s conservative readers: Yes, yes, I admit it, you’re right, so you don’t need to say it: Zach, like his former professor, is part of the liberal media cabal. Yet, if you keep reading you’ll note that he throws many of his satiric darts with bi-partisan abandon.)